GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
UNSTARRED QUESTION NO.6371
TO BE ANSWERED ON 12.04.2017
- SHRI MUTHAMSETTI SRINIVASA RAO (AVANTHI): Will the Minister of RAILWAYS be pleased to state:
- whether the Government has announced new catering policy for popular trains by giving responsibility to the Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC);
- if so, the details thereof;
- whether the Ministry is mulling to handover catering jobs in Parliament House/Parliament House Annexe/North Avenue canteens to the IRCTC; and
- if so, the details thereof and if not, the reasons therefor?
MINISTER OF STATE IN THE MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
(SHRI RAJEN GOHAIN)
(a) & (b): Yes, Madam. New Catering Policy has been notified on 27th February, 2017 with the objective to provide quality food to rail passengers by unbundling of catering services on trains. Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited (IRCTC) has been mandated to carry out the unbundling by creating a distinction primarily between food preparation and food distribution. In order to upgrade quality of food preparation, IRCTC shall be setting up new kitchens and upgrading existing ones. New catering policy, inter-alia, includes the following features for unbundling of catering services
(i) IRCTC shall manage catering services on all mobile units.
(ii) Meals for all mobile units will be picked up from the nominated kitchens owned, operated and managed by IRCTC.
(iii) IRCTC will engage service providers from hospitality industry for service of food in trains.
(iv) IRCTC shall not outrightly outsource or issue licenses for provision of catering services to private licensees.
IRCTC shall retain the ownership and shall be fully accountable for all the issues pertaining to setting up and operation of the Base Kitchens and quality of food.
(c) & (d): No, Madam. Catering facilities are provided departmentally by Northern Railway in Parliament House/Parliament House Annexe/North Avenue canteens.
Source : Lok Sabha