7th Pay Commission – Irked with delay on Pay Hike, Nurses Federation of India call for a Nationwide Strike on May 23
The Nurses Federation of India a joint body which operated under the Central Government Employees Federation had reportedly called for a nationwide strike on May 23 on an issue related to pay hike and implementation of 7th Pay Commission.
The agitation by nurses titled as “Mass Dharna” against 7th Pay Commission will be carried out by nurses almost a month from now.
A few web portals also shared a banner details of the strike, along with a picture of KKN Kutty, President of Central Government Employees Federation. However there is no such official confirmation by the Nurses Federation yet.
On March 17, around 5,000 nurses working at the All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS) went on a mass casual leave, alleging the hospital administration of discrimination in the roll out of the 7th Pay Commission, IANS reported.
A senior nurse then quoted by news agency IANS said, that they have informed the administration that if their entire pay grade is not enhanced from Rs 4,600 to Rs 5,400 then they will soon call an indefinite strike.
The nurses also demand to increase their nursing allowance to Rs 7,800 and this proposal has already been sent to the Health Ministry for consideration.
Meanwhile, the Central Government Employees Federation who wrote a letter to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare had asked three questions :
- 1. Whether it is a fact that All India Nursing Federation has been demanding for revision of their pay scales and a hike in allowances, if so, the details thereof.
- Whether Government has taken any decision on their demands.
- The steps being taken by Government to appease the unions of nurses and persuade them to call off their strike.
Reply by Faggan Singh Kulaste, Minister of State, Health and Family Welfare :
- Yes. Like other Federations/Union, All India Nursing Federation (AIGNF) is demanding better pay and allowances to the Nursing Personnel. Their demands on various allowances such as Nursing allowance, Uniform & Washing allowance, Special Area Allowance etc. payable to Nurses and inclusion in the risk matrix as allowed by 7th Pay Commission to various categories of Government servants has been referred to the Committee on Allowances comprising Finance Secretary & Secretary( Expenditure) as Chairman and Secretaries of Home Affairs, Defence, Health & Family Welfare, Personnel & Training, Posts and Chairman, Railway Board as Members.
- Consultations/persuasion always made with the representatives of the Union/Federation to avoid the strike.